iwannabetheguy1980's build

Build forum for the fully 3D-printed Koenigsegg Agera RS in scale 1/10
admin
Site Admin

Re: iwannabetheguy1980's build

Postby admin » Mon May 10, 2021 7:06 pm

Nice! looks like it drives incredibly well for not being designed for that at all. :D But as you say there are lots of things that can be done. Is the motor housing PLA?

iwannabetheguy1980

Postby iwannabetheguy1980 » Tue May 11, 2021 12:51 am

everything is PLA and PLA+ except for the pinion gear right now(pc blend because it melted). the idea was test as much as PLA will allow and see what parts will require something like nylon or carbon.

the gear housing, gears, the motor mount is all PLA. PC Blend is good till 113C or 235.4F and a brushless motor should not exceed 200F/94C

right now i can see making the CVD caps from Nylon and the front steering knuckles from Nylon, the pinion from PC blend due to the shear heat it will absorb from the motor. everything else is holding up very well. :).

i'm still changing tolerances and i just need the reliability to come up so i can start fine tuning the suspension.
there is too much toe-in as shown in the tire wear but i needed that for stability.

the car is fighting me while i'm trying to drive it which is what i need to work through.

this is where the second car will come in so i can try ideas between both and have ready to run setups for testing.

i just fixed the color issue :)
Last edited by iwannabetheguy1980 on Fri May 14, 2021 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iwannabetheguy1980

Postby iwannabetheguy1980 » Tue May 11, 2021 5:18 am

another whole night working on it its about 90% complete

at least now all the panels are locked in place having the doors flapping around and the hoods moving around didn't help control as the weight was moving around.

waiting on the ESC and motor, and these tires on it are TPU mock up only.
Last edited by iwannabetheguy1980 on Fri May 14, 2021 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iwannabetheguy1980

Postby iwannabetheguy1980 » Tue May 11, 2021 10:46 pm

Tonight's test run with the White Chassis #1 was Excellent.

I took temperature readings of the motor and the highest internal temp i recorded was 85C/185F, the PC blend pinion gear produced a different sound from the gearbox. PC blend is suppose to be good to 113C/235.4F. for my testing area which is small the gear ratio is high.
I would want to lower it slightly but it worked fine. The new top vents on the gearbox (valve covers) seems to have worked since heat is not being trap underneath the top of the gearbox as it was before.

Nothing broke, I ran a full battery pack 1700Mah.

the steering was not fighting me so the issue was that loose lower ball joint. i will double check for play after this last run.
steering was very responsive. i want to play with the Toe-in a little more. Shock ride height worked well for my driveway i put a 1mm wedge on the front shocks from the last run.

The ESC and motor finally came for the Green Chassis #2 so a little closer to getting that operational. i have a bunch of parts that i printed that will need to be reprinted with the new revisions i learned from Chassis #1.

The tire rubber is holding up really well surpassing my expectations.

i have a whole couple of days before i'm ready to make a new set of RTV 30A tires for the Green Chassis. i need to reprint those mold cores.

moving forward again.
Last edited by iwannabetheguy1980 on Fri May 14, 2021 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iwannabetheguy1980

Postby iwannabetheguy1980 » Wed May 12, 2021 6:26 am

i finished the build minus the new Tires front and rear.

i put it on the corner scales.

Chassis #1: this was the first go round and does not have any of the body modifications, it has most of the mechanical modifications. Weight has increased since the initial build and setup. the RTV tires have added some of the weight.

Chassis #2: This is the first fully MK2 version with all the mechanical and body modifications. it has added 60 grams. I put most of the mechanical at 100% infill, the body at 15% and the interior at 5% there is more fudge room as on the white car many times for the body i went to 5% or 10% infill. this will not be the final weight as the new RTV tires will be made thicker and have more weight to them including a TPU insert for all 4 tires.

most scale R/C cars are in this same weight range.
example of a robbe ferrari testarossa
Last edited by iwannabetheguy1980 on Fri May 14, 2021 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iwannabetheguy1980

Postby iwannabetheguy1980 » Wed May 12, 2021 5:18 pm

* discovered an issue with the original STEP files for the front wheels which means i need to reconstruct them. it means my molds are errored as well.

The step file has the front tires off centered so they have a wobble in them. when i reconstructed the rear tires i ignored the STEP and made my own versions but i just used the front tires without looking them over. when i was making the TPU inserts for the front tires i kept having errors showing the wheels are oval not round. so there is somekind of error in the Step or the original files that created them which is actually bad.

so right now i have finished the files for the rear tire molds and rear TPU insert those are fine, but the fronts will have to be started over again.

This error is in my cast tires i have made. The material is soft so you don't see it but the wobble is pretty significant given the tolerances.

i noticed there is also a STEP error in the rims as well you can't center the rim properly fusion will not grab the edge which indicates that is errored as well. i have to see if that error extends into the new from rims i made with center bearings.

this will set me back again.

update: the error is in the rims bead and tire bead. the left and right beads are offset at a slight angle. it produced an offset at 180 degrees from the front face to the back face. the tire is wobbling left and right slightly because of it. i just re-did the mechanical and the tire mock up, inserts mock up. I still have to work on the molds for the tire.

i have to reprint the front rims again 2 times because of it. then i need to completely reprint the front molds, the rear molds just need the cores reprinted.

iwannabetheguy1980

Postby iwannabetheguy1980 » Wed May 12, 2021 10:12 pm

while taking a break from the front tires fix up i had a chance to do a shake down run with Chassis #2 green.

I'm running 60A rear tires and some TPU front tires and it ran VERY WELL with the new mechanical setup.

Issue i'm running into is with how the Disc brake decoration slips on to the Rims its causing intermittent binding issues.

I'm going to have to change all 4 rims a little so that the disc sits differently, maybe open up the caliber clearance more to help.

as a change of plans i'm going to swap the 30A tires from the white onto Green then Rebuild the White chassis #1 to MK2 specs for testing while i work on the issues with the tires and rims and brake.

iwannabetheguy1980

Postby iwannabetheguy1980 » Thu May 13, 2021 12:51 am

managed to get a second run in before the sun went down with Chassis #2 and the 30A rear tires and 60A front tires.

it again ran really well felt stable and controllable i have some hobby grade cars that don't run as well. having all the panels locked down makes a big difference as the weight isn't shifting around now.

Chassis #1 is taken apart for a ground up rebuild.

I hope to get some new video up soon.

iwannabetheguy1980

Postby iwannabetheguy1980 » Thu May 13, 2021 4:20 pm

* updated the model for all 4 rims and brake calipers.

the disc will now have a stopper preventing it from walking forward into the backface of the spokes. so when you install the rims you can push the disc into the backside of the rims with confidence. i then clearanced the brake calipers better with the new disc positioning. this will allow the rims to be removed and keep the brakes from causing real binding by being in the wrong position between the center of the caliper and the rim.

i ran the new back rims last night seemed to work will test on the chassis. have to run new front rims and new calipers to check fit.

had a printer down for maintenance for a while but its back online now. hee hee 5 years of continuous printing had worn the bearings out needed new rods too.

iwannabetheguy1980

Postby iwannabetheguy1980 » Thu May 13, 2021 10:55 pm

Cleanup
Last edited by iwannabetheguy1980 on Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.