Parameter of printing and motor :)

Discussion about printing techniques, slicing and printer hardware
Thor

Parameter of printing and motor :)

Postby Thor » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:07 pm

First of all, my congratulations to the author for his incredible work regarding his model train sets.

I have a Creality CR10 V2 printer to print the EMD GP38 / 39 locomotive.

Cura tells me a printing time of 24 hours and 48 minutes with the following parameters:
- Quality: 0.2 mm
- Printing speed: 50 mm / s
- Fill density: 25%
- Support activated to allow a correct impression of the roof.

Are its parameters correct? Can they be optimized?
Do you think the printing time is correct?

Finally, I am looking to have this locomotive and several cars to convey food around a table (like this system: https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005001953076092.html) but with the possibility of towing a little more than 4 sushi ^^

Here are my plans:
- Train speed: between 5 and 10 meters per second.
- 1 locomotive and 3 cars or 1 locomotive, 6 cars, 1 locomotive with motors in each locomotive
I figured out that I would need a 6v motor with a low rpm, but my mechanical skills are poor. Do you have a suggestion for me for choosing an inexpensive engine?
- Is my idea feasible?

Thanks for your help !

admin
Site Admin

Re: Parameter of printing and motor :)

Postby admin » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:26 pm

Hi!

Thanks! :) The most important advice I have regarding 3D-printing is to just try. If a print fails, no big deal, change the settings and try again. That is how you learn.

Fun idea to transport the food! but you must have gotten the speed wrong? 5-10 meters per second is extremely fast, you will not be able to transport anything at such speeds. These trains are not capable of that. Do you mean 5-10 centimeters per second?
Regarding motor, search for "360-size DC-motor" on eBay, there are many of them, and choose the slowest one you can find. The slower they are rated, the stronger they are usually.

Here is one example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-DC-6V-12 ... 4227368356

If you have no prior mechanical experience, this will be a challenging build but don't give up! you might need to try a few times before you get things right, but that's the beauty with 3D-printing, if something breaks, just print a new part. :)

Thor

Postby Thor » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:41 pm

Sorry, I want to say 5 - 10 CENTIMETERS by second. :lol:

5-10 meters by second, it's impossible to take the food, and my guests will be hungry :lol:

I have already done a lot of printing with my little Dagoma DiscoEasy 200 and I just bought the Creality CR10-V2 to have a bigger plate, and to print the locomotive.
For the moment, I am only with the settings of this new printer.

I don't have a lot of mechanical experience, so your help will be very valuable to me.
I will of course make the community benefit from this food conveyor :)
But I am very motivated for this project :)

Do you have an idea of the weight that the motor that you have linked can pull ?

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:04 am

Sounds like a fun project! regarding the weight, no idea, it has to be tested. It depends on so many variables, for example how well your gearbox is turning. I think it's a good idea to spend some time to fine-sand the gears to make sure the gearbox run smooth. Expect to spend a couple of hours with this. Also make sure you have enough weight in the locomotive to get good traction and to avoid that it derails. Rim balancing weights is really good. Those can often be purchased where you buy spare parts for cars. The ones I bought even came with double side adhesive already on them.