printing strong and solid tracks

Forum about the OS-Railway project available on Thingiverse. Here you can ask questions, look at building pictures, share ideas, pictures and STL's.
kevintieman

printing strong and solid tracks

Postby kevintieman » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:05 pm

I have printed several tracks with different results. The most solid tracks were printed with a raft, however when I print without a raft the rails easily delaminate and are not as solid as they can be.

I tried calibrating my printer (hotend/bed PID, extruder E-steps, bed leveled) and it gets slightly better but still delaminate at some point.

I have an ender3 with a glass bed and am using the cura slicer.

If anyone can share their experiences printing these tracks and tips how to improve that would be great :-D.

admin
Site Admin

Re: printing strong and solid tracks

Postby admin » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:37 pm

Hi,

Yes that sounds like there is some major problem with the settings. You should never use a raft for any of my designs, I have never printed with one and never designed any parts for use with that. In my experience delamination is caused by either under-extrusion or too low temperature causing the layers not to bond well enough to each other.

Also for the track, you can experiment with different number of perimeters. It should always be solid, so 100% infill, but increasing also the number of perimeters can make it stronger because then you have more long uninterrupted lines of plastic.

I never use Cura, I only use Slic3r (and now Prusa Slicer which is based on Slic3r).
You could try Slic3r and see how it works.

/Olle

kevintieman

Re: printing strong and solid tracks

Postby kevintieman » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:37 pm

Well in the end it was bed leveling (isn't it always..), I added a bltouch sensor and this made all the difference once I really dialed in the Z offset for the probe. Apparently the tracks require an accurately leveled bed, in my case anyway. I'm now able to print durable tracks without a raft :D.