Remote control

Forum about the OS-Railway project available on Thingiverse. Here you can ask questions, look at building pictures, share ideas, pictures and STL's.
egman

Remote control

Postby egman » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:43 pm

I am very impressed with everything you do, so I embarked on a project for my 4 year old grandson to adapt your creations into compatible models for LEGO.
For the Fusion 360 part I am doing quite well however I will have a few questions for the remote control part.

1- First of all I would like to know if the LCD screen is essential? (That its usefulness)
2- Can we just have the motor functions: forward, backward as buttons with the potentiometer? (by disabling the leds immediately)
3- Can we put a USB charger to switch to a Lithium battery to replace the 4 NiMh batteries provided (which would avoid opening the case)
I imagine that the Arduino code will be noticeably affected if I want to have only the basic commands (I don't know much about Arduino)

Thank you in advance for your reply

admin
Site Admin

Re: Remote control

Postby admin » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:21 pm

Hi!

That would be very nice, please upload your modifications to Thingiverse as I suspect many people can have use for that!
Regarding your questions:

1. Basic answer is no, it's not really needed. BUT. if you intend to modify the remote and the code, then the LCD is very useful because you can use it to display which commands has been sent and that they were received etc. I also think it's convenient to see which locomotives are stored in the remote, and to see that the connection works. But of course you could indicate this with LED's instead. If you only have one locomotive you could just skip the menu and connect to that directly and have a green LED that lights up when it's connected.

2. I'm not really sure what you mean but the remote does not care if you remove buttons. In the arduino code for the train, you can set the lights on automatically. If you want to reduce the number of buttons, I recommend that you switch on the lights at powerup and just change the direction. I think you need to just experiment a bit with the code to see how you want to solve this.

3. Of course! I actually saw one user on Thingiverse that has done just that. Check the pictures of this make: https://www.thingiverse.com/make:867093 maybe you could ask in the comments there which charging circuit he used.

Yes you need to know the basics of Arduino, but this code is thankfully not very complicated so if you go through a couple of tutorials and start learning the basics of Arduino (which is mainly C-programming) you will soon be able to adapt this to the functions you want.

egman

Re: Remote control

Postby egman » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:03 pm

Thank you for all your answers which I will study in more detail.

I will of course try to keep the LCD screen but I'm not sure yet how many trains I'm going to need.

As for the drawings, I started with the rails and I was waiting for your answers to start the trains. (actually LEGO rails and trains are wider than the ladder you use for your OS Railway
Of course I will not fail to put my drawings on Thingiverse

Thank you again for your help