Covert model to HO Scale (1:87)

Forum about the OS-Railway project available on Thingiverse. Here you can ask questions, look at building pictures, share ideas, pictures and STL's.
spitzy@onvol.net

Covert model to HO Scale (1:87)

Postby spitzy@onvol.net » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:39 am

Hi,

I am new to the train modelling world and was very intrigued by this project and would like to build this railway system in HO Scale, especially the ICE model.

Is it possible to resize the tracks and the boogies (and any other parts) to make this HO?

Is it simply dividing the tracks and parts in all axis (X, Y, and Z) by 2? Or 1.93 to be exact if this is O-Scale at 1:45 (EU)

If this is possible, which parts of the carriage would need to be resized, all of them including the gears and wheels too?

Apologies if these are noob questions or if this topic has already been answered and thanks for your help in advance.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Covert model to HO Scale (1:87)

Postby admin » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:59 pm

Hi!

That's a major undertaking, and I'm not sure it would print OK on an FDM. I've been thinking of maybe making a smaller scale system but I'm focusing on this for now as I have printed so much track for it already. It's already tough to get the motorized bogies to work in this scale so scaling it down will be a major challenge. But that should not stop you from trying if you want to, I'm just giving you realistic expectations. :) My advice would be to first try to print a couple of pieces of track and if that works start with the Z70 locomotive. And PLEASE if you do, post some pictures! :)

And about the scaling, you can scale the files in the slicer software you use. The scale of the track is O-scale (32mm track width) so to be really sure that you scale it right, check out what track width H0 has and work out a scale divider Much of the rolling stock I've made is not scale because they don't work well with the track, so they are smaller than 1:45 but the Z70 is scale.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Covert model to HO Scale (1:87)

Postby admin » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:12 pm

H0 seems to be 16,5mm track width so the scale factor is then 0,515625 to scale down these parts to H0.

Edit: I tried to slice track and some parts for the Z70-locomotive in 51,5% scale and it could actually work! But you have to figure out a motor setup yourself.