About the OS-Railway project

Forum about the OS-Railway project available on Thingiverse. Here you can ask questions, look at building pictures, share ideas, pictures and STL's.
admin
Site Admin

About the OS-Railway project

Postby admin » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:57 pm

The OS-Railway project is meant to be an independent fully 3D-printable toy/model railway system. It doesn't require a single part form a commercial railway system, although components that cannot be 3D-printed like screws, motors and electronics are needed. I try to utilize common components that is easy enough to find through E-Bay or other sources to make it possible for anyone to print and assemble these creations. It is my hope that others will contribute as well with parts and modifications. The scale is 1:45 which corresponds to the commercial O-scale with 32mm track width so some of the parts may be adapted with little or more work to fit to a commercial O-scale layout, however this i not the goal of the project. The project is at the time of writing roughly one year into the making.
Skärmavbild 2018-01-14 kl. 21.49.57.png
Skärmavbild 2018-01-14 kl. 21.49.57.png (442.73 KiB) Viewed 1131 times
All parts are designed to be printed on a regular single nozzle FDM-printer with 0,4mm nozzle (standard on most). It doesn't require a top-notch expensive printer, but should be possible to print well even on a low-budget FDM. The key is to obtain a good bed adhesion as some of the parts are small, however for glass this can be done by water mixed with wood glue for example. Orientation of parts on the print bed is the most important aspekt so pay close attention to orientation shown in pictures, as the parts in the STL files aren't always oriented correctly, which is due to the fact that different CAD-software have a nasty habit of using different axis notations. (meaning axis Z isn't always the vertical axis in CAD software).

It is my intention to add threads here with build pictures and instructions continuously, but as I'm always into lots of projects it might take some time so if there is something specific you would like to see or discuss in this forum, feel free to start a thread!

ziboga

Re: About the OS-Railway project

Postby ziboga » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:56 am

Hello, thanks and congratulations for your work. I'm in print with your train project. I also use the same printer and I keep experimenting, your advice helps me to improve the knowledge of the printer. Thanks again and continue like this. Linen

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:11 am

Really glad you like it! :) I would love if you start a build thread here and show off some of your prints! :)

sigterm

Postby sigterm » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:09 pm

Hello, could you please publish CAD files? I try to print your railway track on my custom printer, but because of glass clips, i am limited to 185/140mm printable width/height. So i can only print 100mm tracks. I would like to print something like 180 or 160mm straight tracks if possible.
Or.. if you would like to publish modified STL exports, that would be also great.

Thank you for great job.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:29 am

Hi!

I will of course publish the CAD-files for the track for you, no problem. But I think an easier option for you would be to try this customizable track: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2221916

Try that and let me know if it works.

Best Regards
/Olle

sigterm

Postby sigterm » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:36 pm

Thank you very much. I unfortunately ended up with this:
customizer report.JPG
customizer report.JPG (91.27 KiB) Viewed 355 times

sigterm

Postby sigterm » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:39 pm

mmmhm, I was more in hurry than needed. The thingiverse thing contains openSCAD model. I think I can handle it now. Thanks.